Integrated and Participatory Urban Waste Management Project
In 2009, Radio Active CR 90.4 MHz, embarked on a five year project titled "Integrated and Participatory Urban Waste Management Initiatives". The five year programme designed to sensitize and develop a holistic community approach to waste management and seeks to promote ownership on the process and inclusion of the informal waste workers into the SWM system.
The genesis of the project stemmed out of clean up drives conducted at Frazer Town & JC Road, Bangalore in 2009. The project was officially launched on August 15th 2009. From then on the project has evolved to include Capacity Building Workshops on Waste Management to stakeholders- RWAs, gated communities, educational institutions, business, and other institutions, government etc, in addition to engagement with the government and other agencies through policy advocacy and inclusion of waste-pickers and scrap dealers in the city’s solid waste management system.
The main activities included:
- Conduct Clean up Drives
- Conduct Awareness Programmes on the importance of waste segregation
- Conduct Capacity Building Workshops on Waste Management for all the stakeholders – RWA, apartments, businesses, government, schools, colleges, industry etc.
- Engage with the government and other agencies
- Collaborate with other NGOs, SHGs & CBO
- Advocacy and Lobbying on key issues of waste management
- Identification of waste pickers, scrap traders and recyclers
- Registration, training and capacity building activities for waste pickers and scrap traders
- Assist with the formation of a city level waste picker collective
- Conduct symposiums, workshops, seminars , exhibition on waste management etc
- Document best practices in the field of waste management and create a repository.
- Enlist communities, to host Radio Programmes on waste management and concerned issues
- Engage with other media to support initiatives on waste management
- Engage with waste pickers to run the Dry Waste Collection Centres
- Awareness to waste pickers groups on social security schemes and polices by the government and facilitation
Memberships : SWMRT Hasiru Dala
Initiatives: Pilot Project - Dry Waste Collection Center – HSR & Gottigere Awareness & Capacity Building Workshop Waste-picker Registration & Scrap Dealer Enumeration Scrap Dealer Certification Radio Programs
Awards & Recognition : Solid Waste Management Round Table (www.swmrt.com) gets the Namma Bengaluru Award, 2011 under the best "Groups/ Organizations - Community Based Organization" category!, out of 14,000 nominations across 9 categories!